Sunday, May 28, 2017

5 Tips on Getting a Jump Start on Next Year's Organization

The end of the school year is always a mix of emotions. I'm usually very ready for summer vacation, but at the same time I'm already getting excited for the upcoming school year and all of its newness: a new set of kiddos, a fresh, clean classroom, and an organized, prepared teacher. HA! One can only hope! 
In all honesty though, since having my baby boy almost 6 months ago I am now very aware of how much of my planning time was going to waste. I spent hours upon hours of planning lessons, copying and prepping material, and of course the usual housekeeping business like meetings and grading papers. Now that I have a precious baby, let's be real, I want to spend every minute I can with that sweet little chubby boy! So that leaves very little spare time for school items. I try my best to use every minute I have at school, and if needed I work on things at home, only after my baby is asleep if I'm not passed out in bed.
So in trying to simplify my life I came up with a list...naturally. My husband always makes fun of my obsession of making lists for any and every occasion! What can I say? I'm a Type A personality. Ahem...

Here are my 5 Tips on Getting a Jump Start on Next Year's Organization (it's a mouthful but it works):


1.) Purge, Purge, Purge: If you are anything like me there is nothing more satisfying than dumping junk in the garbage decluttering. Start simple. Take a look around your classroom and try to spot your messiest area, or most used area, and start there. For me it's my desk. Get rid of things that take up space that you aren't using. I usually get started on this the last week or two of school. The less I have to do on our staff day or over the summer the better.


2.) Figure out what worked and what didn't work: I try to keep a list (go figure!) throughout the year of things I want to change or keep the same for the next year, such as procedures, center activities, projects or lessons. Knowing this before the next school year can help me with the next step...

3.) Organize classroom materials: Once you know what you plan to continue doing next year, you can organize your materials. I may be an organized person in most areas, but I lack in this department. Once I've taught a unit I usually throw said unit items in a plastic tub or file folder. Having the units organized now will save you your sanity next year.

4.) Begin lesson planning: Once you know what you're going to be teaching and your supplies are organized you're ready to start those lesson plans! If this does not sound like something you want to do, start small and just complete lesson plans for the first week back. Type A personalities like myself, love having our plans ready to go. I usually stay after school on Friday nights to make my plans, run my copies and get all material ready to go for the next week. Having a few weeks' worth of lesson planning done just frees up a few of my Friday nights. Yes please!

5.) Prep your activities: Not only should you do your lesson plans, but you should also prep them. Like I mentioned in the last tip, run your copies and get all your material and activities ready. I have a 6-drawer organizer that sits on the shelf behind my desk that I absolutely LOVE. The drawers are labeled for each day of the week and the sixth is labeled as "Upcoming." Slide your activities in the drawers and you're good to go!

There ya have it! Five things to get started on now. We are coming up on our last day of school Thursday, and I already have ideas for what I need to prepare. Need an idea on a Back to School activity for your class? Check out this All About Me poster in my TPT Store. Do you have any tips to get organized for the upcoming school year? Let me know in the comments!
 photo Chrystal_zpsoy7uvcl3.png

No comments:

Post a Comment